Tuesday 25 August 2009

Frustration (Part 37)

Maybe I’ve just got to get used to the fact that sports betting is frustrating, and as long as you’re in profit at the end of a week, it’s worth the effort. The source of my current frustration – a turnaround in my Tennis fortunes, brought about by a concerted effort to be decisive and remain confident in my selections. Great. And with typical timing, concurrently a crap run with the footy. Therefore ensuring that I plod ahead steadily, rather than storming into Manchester City-style riches.

I had a good week following the Cincinatti tournament – it helps when all the top guys are playing, and everyone’s giving a committed and genuine performance. I was away at the weekend when the big four went head-to-head, but I’d probably have kept my money in my pocket anyway. I backed this up with bets on Razzano and Wickmayer yesterday evening in New Haven, and Verdasco tonight in the same event ( er, New Haven, not the women's singles ).

I’ve been keeping my soccer bets limited to small stakes until the season settles down, and things were going ok until I developed a skill for laying winners over the weekend – a series of small bets just to test out my tipping skills, but when the majority go pear-shaped, it can quickly make a dent in your P&L.

Yesterday evening, I decided it was time to be decisive and confident with soccer betting – a lay of Villa as Fernando Torres scored to bring the score at Anfield back to 1-2. One Stephen Gerard cock-up later, and Ashley Young was able to ruin my night from the penalty spot. A rare odds-against bet for me, so I shouldn’t really expect to win. But I do!

My most profitable sport to date this month? Horse Racing! I'll leave any detailed analysis of my betting fortunes for my month-end roundup, but there will probably be a sense of frustration engrained into that post.

No comments:

Post a Comment