Sunday 3 January 2010

December - More Promise Than Profit

Back in front of the laptop for the first time in 2010, having had a good break in London. We had an excellent view of the Thames firework display on New Year’s Eve, and I was then cajoled by Mrs B into watching the New Year’s Day Parade through the city ( a few worthwhile displays, but too many American marching bands – dull ). For the rest of the visit, I spent a little time looking cool around Camden Market and Spitalfields. Well, ok, I would have looked cool except that I tweaked my knee on New Year’s Eve, so instead I was just a bloke with a stupid hat and a limp.

I’m now heartily sick of frothy warm beverages, whether it be from half-decent cafes or the worst culprit of the chain coffee shops, Starbucks ( 40% liquid, 60% froth ). Anyone attempting to add even a bubble to my January hot drink order will be dealt with via a kick in the nether regions.

I’ll keep the December review brief ( it seems long ago ). The month started well, and I settled into a nice routine of short sessions in front of the laptop, concentrating on one sport at a time (racing or football). By mid-month, I was looking in a good position to achieve my best monthly P&L since I reduced my bank and started work again in March. The second half of the month was less successful, as I lost that routine and, as I regularly seem to do, threw in a couple of horror days to peg back my profits. Having had a red day after laying three successive winners at Plumpton, I managed to reach Christmas in decent shape and took a nice bank withdrawal to contribute to the costs of the festivities. My first day’s betting after the break was a disaster ( I posted my thoughts on the day at the time ). My heart is imprinted with the frustration of post-cash withdrawal days – the great punting god always seems to punish me for taking out money, as if to scald me for assuming I will continue to make a profit. And, of course, this always leaves me where I hate to be – with an inadequate bank. So, a modest P&L result for a month that promised much, and another hill to climb for the start of 2010 to bring my bank back into my comfort zone.

I’ve had a delayed start to my 2010 betting, but I’ve a 100% record so far, courtesy of a few FA Cup bets placed on the I-phone. Maybe it’s the start of a huge breakthrough. Umm.

2 comments:

  1. LOL I know what you mean about the drinks! What do you have to do to just get a coffee these days??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boycott Starbucks! Over-priced, over-rated and over-here!

    Good luck in 2010.

    ReplyDelete