Thursday 26 November 2009

Developing Bad Habits

There are a multitude of betting blogs out there at the moment, including plenty of ‘start-ups’, with guys ( this does seem to be one of the last great male-only clubs! ) learning the game using small stakes with the hope of developing towards a goal of full-time trading. A recurring theme is the thought that once the basics are learnt and mistakes made using smallish sums, profit will quickly begin to flow. This is probably why many blogs disappear after a short time. It simply isn’t as easy as that!

Let’s do the basic maths on the workings of Betfair – the exchange take their cut, the rest of the wagered sums are shared between winners and losers. If there were huge amounts of people making a regular and substantial profit, there would probably need to be a similarly huge amount prepared to lose consistently and regularly – I’m not sure there are that many mugs out there.

So there are probably plenty of people in a similar situation to myself. Two years or so into my Betfair adventure, I’ve learnt plenty. My betting methods bear little resemblance to those I used at the start of the journey. I often make worthwhile profits, but the aim of consistent profit remains an arm-length away. I’ve gone past the beginner stage, and I’m sure I’m going through the period where many give up – the basic skills are in place, but I’m still liable to error ( with associated losses ). Only the determined will survive this stage. There remain plenty of disheartening days, and I rely on my undiminished belief that I will eventually succeed to keep me plodding on.

My current irritation is a couple of bad habits I seem to have developed.

· Becoming tentative after a day has started well.
· Rounding up

A P&L from a successful Tuesday illustrates my first issue. Having made a decent sum from a spare couple of hours following the afternoon’s racing, I spent an evening session concentrating on soccer. It seemed to me to be a fairly successful and satisfactory session, but a view of the P&L at the end of the evening surprised me – a largest win of £2.83! I’m unlikely to make much contribution towards the cost of Christmas with too many more sessions like that.


Maybe I’ve got a touch of OCD, but I do like to close a day with a nice rounded up sum, whether it be daily profit or bank balance. But I’m also prone to careless bets, simply to reach a rounded total. There is little more frustrating than throwing away a day’s profit on a risky punt around 11.00pm with the aim of winning £2.50!

I’m in this for the long haul. I’m sure a few less determined will fall by the wayside. Those who succeed will learn from their mistakes. I remain hopeful I’ll be one of them.

4 comments:

  1. Loose?

    http://green-all-over.blogspot.com/2008/06/i-cant-stand-loosing.html

    Good post (apart from the above). A lot of blogs just suddenly vanish as you say. It sounds terribly easy just needing to make 1% a day, but of course it's not. No edge, no long-term profits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. Don't punt just for the sake of it is worth taking on board. If you have a nice win-withdraw and have a couple of days off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassini - Think my grammar's ok. I meant loose, as in 'wobbly', or more appropriately 'careless'. Can see how it could be read wrongly, so I've edited the post to add the latter option.

    Steve - yeah, but if that nice win brings my day to £48.50 or £97.00, I'm tempted. It's just like when the tea, coffee and sugar jars aren't aligned correctly.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Post Rob.

    Good Luck with your journey.

    ReplyDelete