Monday 7 September 2009

Not Too Bright

So your club has been involved one of the biggest scandals in the history of Rugby Union. They have been pilloried from all quarters for damaging the reputation of the sport, and will expect a rough reception wherever they travel. It will take a major charm offensive to regain their image. Presumably, as the Harlequins players prepared for kickoff in their opening game of the new Guinness Premiership season against Wasps, one would have thought that protecting their team’s image would be high on the team talk agenda.

20 seconds into the game, Quins’ George Robson tackles Wasps Joe Simpson, and follows through with a head butt. 46 seconds into the game, he is shown a red card.

No further comment needed.

Anyone enjoy backing horses in-running? A note of caution spotted earlier – whilst following a lay in the 5.40 at Worcester, I noticed the second favourite Le Toto trade down to 1.02 before being overhauled by the outsider Olympian Boy. All within a couple of seconds. Ouch. I regularly see tennis matches swing away from similar odds, but you generally have a chance of limiting your losses if you’re prepared to red out promptly. With racing, it’s gone. I struggle to believe anyone makes money backing at low odds in-running.

I made a 34% profit on my bank today. From this fact, and having read my post yesterday, you can probably deduce that my starting bank was circa £100, not a nice four-figure lump. I’m still considering my strategy for the coming weeks. But for the next couple of days, I’ll keep it small and steady.

4 comments:

  1. I'm starting to enjoy in running again Rob! It gets annoying when you dont get matched, obviously cause the odds move so fast, but the enjoyment is coming back from last summer. And I would normally take 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 etc a few times during the day, wouldnt lump on maybe 55 euro, 66, 77, that sort of thing. So it keeps me ticking over on some races there isnt another bet, my main aim is to lay horses in running but when I cant find one I would go for the low prices. I suppose its all about how you read the race, still I wouldnt have thousands like some do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the bravery of youth. I suppose as long as you're confident that your RUK pictures are quick enough. But the thought of that moment when you press the submit key as simultaneously the horse starts treading water.....

    And keep in mind, if the 47th successive 10 point 1.02 bet is the first loser, you're behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say that its the place market! If that changes anything, fully understand the big risk part though, suppose you just have to pick carefully all the time. Just looked back through the P&L, last time I lost on one was €11 at 1.04, would never lump on.

    By the way, what do you think of Monfils to beat Nadal tomorrow? Rafa looked in a bad way the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rafa ain't going to win the tournament, I'm confident on that. He does rely on his level of fitness to get him through games sometimes, and he's obviously not right at the moment.

    I do think 1.7 looks about right if he's not carrying on injury, simply on his ability to grind out a result. Monfils is on my 'avoid' list, so I've not really kept an eye on how he's playing. I'll keep my cash in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete