Friday 19 March 2010

Still In The Red

A quick thought. Who would you rather have managing your team. Roy Hodgson or Rafa Benitez? Thought so.

Haven’t posted for a while. As Cassini pointed out recently, it’s no fun writing about a losing pastime. And since my last post, I’ve done more losing than winning. So March is turning into a crap month. I’ve only really been involved in racing and football betting, and both sports are showing a loss. The racing deficit is not yet a concern. I have commented on my failing to stick with a strategy for any length of time, and following last month’s successes I’m happy to keep moving forward in the hope that the short-term loss is a correction that will, in the medium term, still result in a profitable outcome.

I seem to be heading down a cul-de-sac with my football selections at the moment, probably due to the sort of loss of confidence which condemned my tennis betting to a spell in the wilderness recently. In the same way that I got into a routine of taking all-reds too early when tennis games started to go against me, I seem to be in the habit of going all-red in games where my selection is eventually successful. I did it again tonight with a lay of Werder Bremen. So I think my weekend will be better spent reviewing where my profits and losses have been made on football over the last year, rather than piling into more losing bets.

My limited bank is also an obstacle at the moment. I try to be cautious by cashing out profits on a monthly basis, but it leaves me open to a losing spell coinciding with a withdrawal. It happened over the weekend, meaning the dreaded ‘deposit’ button had to be pressed. I was fortunate that a bad start to Sunday was halted by a prior engagement ( Fun Lovin’ Criminals at the Leamington Spa Assembly ), before I managed to blow all of the newly deposited funds in frustration. I’ve now accepted that March is going to be a losing month, as I’d rather make a few steady steps forward for the rest of the month than increase my level of risk just to reach an arbitrary figure.

I’ve been following Cheltenham with interest ( for the first time! ) but it’s of little use for my laying methods. Most races seem to have live potential winners out at 25’s and 33’s. I’ve laid a couple, came a cropper with Weapon’s Amnesty in the RSA, but also had a fiver on Big Zeb in the following race. Overall, my Cheltenham P&L currently sits at +£54, so no complaints.

Finally, RIP Alex Chilton. Influencial in the States, unknown over here, I only know him for one song, but it’s a hell of a tune, from the 1974 album ‘Radio City’. May I introduce you to Big Star’s ‘September Gurls’.

3 comments:

  1. Surely you know The Letter by the BoxTops ? Sung by a 17 year old Alex Chilton.

    Look it up on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never realised it was Chilton on vocals, quite a different sound to the Big Star stuff. So I've learnt something new today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could teach u something new every day. But i'm not sure u'd be pleased. ;)

    ReplyDelete