Sunday 28 February 2010

Psychological Scars

It’s all in the mind, this betting lark. I ended the day picking out a couple of successful lays from the US horse racing, rather than following the evening’s football. On a day when I’d not even bothered to check the tennis fixtures. I wouldn’t have put money on that happening six months ago. But it’s instinct to follow wins and back away from losses, and I’m currently being pulled towards racing.

Last weekend, I laid an away team in the Italian Second division. They won 5-0. So why did I open today’s betting with another away team lay in the same league ( Crotone )? They won 4-0, and it took me the rest of the day to bring my football P&L back to zero ( -£1.14 actually ). But having also taken a small loss on football on Friday evening, the losing start today left me in no mood to take on my usual Saturday afternoon football session. I’ve written before about placing bets with the expectation of losing, and starting the day with another loss put me in a negative state of mind. So I switched focus to the day’s racing, and a winning day followed.

I’m still struggling to understand how I’m being more successful with a sport I know little about, over two that I’ve been following for thirty years. But money talks, so racing will be given priority whilst it continues to give me profits. I’ve got a few ideas about my current mindset with different sports, but I’ll leave them for my month-end post. Which is coming soon – surely it’s not a month since my last summary?

No comments:

Post a Comment