Tuesday 13 October 2009

You Know It's Your Day When.........

Having giving myself a pat on the back for seven days of good discipline, I dropped my guard a little this evening with an old error – betting within moments of turning on the laptop, before giving myself time to assess the choice, or what I was aiming to achieve.

The offending trade was a back at 1.08 on South African side Eagles against Sussex in the Twenty20 Champions League. Low odds, but I just couldn’t see how the Eagles could fail to knock off a small remaining total with loads of wickets in hand. I slowly watched the scoreboard unravel, as Sussex’ slow bowlers put the brakes on the scoring rate. I made the decision to first offset my anticipated profit to lower my liability, and shortly afterwards I took a £20.00ish all-red.

My second error got me out of the mire. I made it unknowingly at the time of placing the bet – ok, who checks the rules of the bet regularly? As the game reached a tight climax, I’d already written off my £20. With five required to win off the last ball, a boundary forced a tie ( Eagles went on to take the match in a one-over ‘super over’ contest ). I assumed a tie would average the red/green position of each team – in my case a £20 loss.

Wrong – match void. A windfall!

It’s worth checking the rules occasionally, particularly if you’re trading competitions you’re not too familiar with.

2 comments:

  1. Didnt have a bet on this one was in college, got to see the last 3 overs though, mental!

    That pitch is an absolute nightmare though. The other ground their playing at (Bangalore) par is around 170ish, while that pitch I'd guess par is around 135 or so. Terrible having to switch day-to-day to whats chase-able and whats not.

    They should have chased down that score easily today still though! But here what I want to know is, why is it a tie when you get a collapse but when I get a collapse I lose? Haha.

    Probably a good idea to stay away from under 1.2 in 20/20 no matter whats happening, crazy game.

    ReplyDelete